Villa vacations during the holidays are extra special for so many reasons! Holiday time is the best time for expressing gratitude – the appreciation of family, friends, soul mates or even solitude are given free reign as for the most part, commerce and municipal operations pause in honor of these occasions. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS), the Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year’s holiday periods are among the busiest long-distance travel periods of the year.
More to the point, each island also celebrates its own Carnival season, and these same suggestions apply! We see so many more guests during these times of the year, and we offer these 5 tips to ensuring a pleasant arrival, memorable stay, and breezy departure:
- Choose wisely. We book our villas based upon 2 persons per bedroom, but there may be singles in your party or even couples who would prefer their own suite or bathroom. Consider how many bedrooms you will need, so that everyone’s most comfortable. Holidays often mean multiple generations, so please inquire about floor plans and stairs if you have any seniors, young children, or party members with any mobility issues. Location may also be critical to your holiday happiness. Waterfront does not mean beachfront, let us help you to pick the perfect property.
- Children’s ages? Most of our villas are child-friendly, with appropriate caution. Built in residential areas over natural and generally hilly terrain, these properties often feature stairs and multiple levels with spaces between bedrooms (some suites have exterior entry and access to the pool deck). Liability waivers may also be required in advance of arrival. Please inquire about floor plans if you have any concerns.
- Book vehicles early. In the islands, the number of licensed auto rental outlets is limited, as is inventory. To ensure that you are able to rent the vehicle(s) you prefer, place your order as early as possible, preferably upon confirming your reservation with a deposit.
- Be proactive on activities. The supply of licensed providers of chef services, massage, marine activities, fishing expeditions, SCUBA, snorkel, island tours (you get where we’re going with this) is limited in the islands. The populations’s smaller, and you must take into account that many island residents will invite family and friends from away and utilize these services too! Help us to choose from among the best by booking as early as possible, preferably as soon as you confirm your reservation with a deposit.
- Start yesterday. Locating the perfect villa in the perfect location with the perfect amenities is not easy work, but we can make it easier for you. We know our properties and the islands intimately; it’s where we and/or our friends and families live, after all! The sooner you begin your search, the better the selection. We look forward to assisting you via telephone or email, to get started… contact us today!
Carnival celebrations by island and informational links
- St. Croix – Crucian Christmas Carnival | activities begin in November, with the culmination during the Christmas Week – Three Kings’ Day (January 6)
- St. John – St. John Festival | activities begin in June, with the culmination on during the week of USVI Emancipation Day (July 3). Please note, the parade is held on American Independence Day (July 4). – Facebook page
- St. Thomas – VI Carnival | activities begin in March/April; dependent upon when Easter falls. Grand parades for children and adults come at the end of April or early May.
- Tortola – August Monday/Emancipation Festival | activities begin in July and culminate in the grand parade on August Monday; however, smaller celebrations by island region also take place as well.
- Virgin Gorda – Easter Monday | activities begin in March and are dependent upon when Easter falls, with pageants, shows and a parade.